In the energy sector on Curaçao the market in the field of electricity is to be sub-divided into the production, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity. The activities in these sub-markets are primarily executed by one (1) dominant party, Aqualectra, pursuant to the concession granted to it, and in addition by a few producers of sustainable energy.
The supervision and regulation by BT&P in the field of electricity provision and the related market parties has set a number of objectives with a view to a market which operates as transparently and efficiently as possible in the interests of the consumers.
- To accomplish an adequate provision of services to the public: with a guaranty of supply and quality of electricity
- To achieve an inception of affordable tariffs
- To protect the consumers: by applying general terms and conditions and specific conditions of supply with the interest of the end-users in mind
Originating from these objectives BT&P carries out a number of supervisory duties in the field of electricity supply.
BT&P supervisory tasks:
- Developing a policy- and regulatory framework for the production and distribution of electricity
- Advising about the implementation of the policy- and regulatory framework
- Advising about tariff structures, terms and conditions for production- and distribution of electricity
- Advising about guidelines for connection-, supply- and end-user tariffs for electricity
- Advising about quality guidelines for production and distribution of electricity
- Advising about the observance of the quality guidelines by concession-holders respective to the provision of services with high quality standards to the end-users, and more transparency and efficiency in the operational activities of the companies
- Advising at requests for amendments of tariff structures, general terms and conditions of supply, connection-, supply- and end-user tariffs
- Advising about the observance of statutory provisions of the law about conditions for decrees on prices
- Taking care of the registration and the charting of the underground and above-ground infrastructure of the network company
- Following local and international developments on the market related to the production and distribution of electricity