In the energy sector in Curaçao, the market in the field of drinking water supply is to be sub-divided into the following segments: production, storage, transportation, distribution and delivery of drinking water. The activities in these market segments are primarily carried out by 1 dominant party, Aqualectra
The frameworks for the supervision and the regulation by the BT&P in the field of drinking water supply are laid down by law in the National Ordinance Drinking Water, (Official Gazette 2006, nr. 37) inclusive of implementing regulations, the Commodities Ordinance, (Official Gazette 1997, nr. 334), the National Resolution quality drinking water (Official Gazette 2006, nr. 72) and the Ordinance on Prices 1961, (Official Gazette 1961, nr. 117)*.
* Note: This National Ordinance has not yet been adapted to the new constitutional structure effective as from 10 October 2010.
Within these frameworks, the supervision and the regulation by BT&P covers the production and the distribution of drinking water, using a number of objectives aimed at a market that operates as transparently and efficiently as possible with regard to price, technical quality and guarantee of delivery in the interest of the consumer.
- To guarantee the efficiency of drinking water supply (without interruption or shortages and a proper water pressure)
- To guarantee the technical quality of drinking water
- To ensure drinking water supply against efficient rates
Based on these envisioned objectives, BT&P carries out a number of practical supervisory tasks in the field of drinking water supply:
- Developing a policy and regulatory framework for production and distribution of drinking water that is as cost efficient as possible (aspect of efficiency)
- Rendering advice on the execution of policy and regulatory frameworks
- Rendering advice on rate structures, terms and conditions for the production and distribution ofdrinking water
- Rendering advice on guidelines for connection rates, delivery rates and end user rates for drinking water
- Rendering advice on compliance with the quality standards by concession holders for high quality service provision to the end user and more transparency and efficiency in operations
- Rendering advice in case of requests for amendment of rate structures, general terms and conditions of delivery, connection rates, delivery rates and end user rates
- Rendering advice on compliance with statutory provisions on and conditions for price orders
- Providing for the registration and mapping out of underground and above-ground infrastructure of the network company
- Monitoring the local and international market developments in the field of production and distribution of drinking water